Are there any manufacturers/distributors who would buy surplus envelopes back from a company?

C[orgi]MYK

As we are all aware, COVID made supply chain issues for all of us in the industry. So in those first few years, my company purchased a surplus of envelopes to avoid running out and having a major delay in shipments. Now we are faced with having a bit too much stock and are looking for a contact that would buy some of this surplus from us.
We are located on the east coast.
Any knowledge or recommendations are helpful. Thanks.

What kind of envelopes are you talking about and what quantities, tens of thousands or an assortment of smaller quantities? This site could be a good place to sell them.

I would suggest listening what you want to get rid of and at what price. I can’t speak for all distributors, but I know Lindenmeyr would sock you with a considerable restocking fee if you bought the envelopes from them. This was well over a year ago, but a sales rep couldn’t even approve a return for any paper without management approval. Too many larger printers hoarded too much and expected the paper distributor to take back what they over bought.

If you’re talking about large quantities of common sizes you may want to talk to your local paper representative that you have a good relationship with and see if they’re willing to broker a sale between you and another nearby printer. Transportation costs will be your enemy unless you can find someone in your local market. If these are smaller quantities of specialty envelopes, try reaching out to independently owned copy/print shops. Personally, I would have a hard time paying up front for envelopes that have been sitting around for years, I would want to inspect prior to delivery and payment.

What kind of envelopes are you talking about and what quantities, tens of thousands or an assortment of smaller quantities? This site could be a good place to sell them.

I would suggest listening what you want to get rid of and at what price. I can’t speak for all distributors, but I know Lindenmeyr would sock you with a considerable restocking fee if you bought the envelopes from them. This was well over a year ago, but a sales rep couldn’t even approve a return for any paper without management approval. Too many larger printers hoarded too much and expected the paper distributor to take back what they over bought.

If you’re talking about large quantities of common sizes you may want to talk to your local paper representative that you have a good relationship with and see if they’re willing to broker a sale between you and another nearby printer. Transportation costs will be your enemy unless you can find someone in your local market. If these are smaller quantities of specialty envelopes, try reaching out to independently owned copy/print shops. Personally, I would have a hard time paying up front for envelopes that have been sitting around for years, I would want to inspect prior to delivery and payment.
I'd be expecting to pay somewhere around 30%-40% of the normal cost of the envelopes for something that can expire so quickly, especially in certain environments the envelopes could have been rendered non-machinable at this point if they have taken on too much moisture.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back