Talk to me about foil printers

bcr

I saw a Peleman Flat Bed Foil Printer in a store and the owner gave me a quick demo.

I am thinking about getting one, primary use is for gold foil cover text on hard bound documents. Think bound thesis but in textured hard bound fabric covers.

Previously I was looking at getting a gold foil stamping machine where you manually set out the letters and it presses them in.
This device looks like a lot less hassle than that though.

There's various other in-house merchandise and promotional applications I can see for this, but wanted to ask if anyone has any suggestions or other recommendations for alternatives or better equipment? This machine is about 7k (EUR).

Link:

I would like to know you opinion also. I look at these from time to time as a step in between a ricoh 7210 with gold or our HEIDELBERG windmill leafing press.

May be worth going to see one, although "user friendly software" in the specs could be a PITA. I'd prefer a print driver where I could choose a layer from existing Adobe workflows. Also the USB connectivity ain't great, I'd prefer to hang it off the network, then it would be a true print on demand machine for everyone with the print driver.

Reactions: bcr
May be worth going to see one, although "user friendly software" in the specs could be a PITA. I'd prefer a print driver where I could choose a layer from existing Adobe workflows. Also the USB connectivity ain't great, I'd prefer to hang it off the network, then it would be a true print on demand machine for everyone with the print driver.
Yes fair point hadn't thought of that

We’ve been trying to move away from metal set type and looked at the Impress System but it did not do well on textured cover material - created a lot of voids, even on the premade FastBack composition hard covers. Interested to hear if you have better luck.

Foil in hair.jpg

I'm very interested in this as well. Would love folks ideas of approximate pricing and utility of entry level foiling machines. We wanted to start offering some gold foiling for a couple customers in our inplant, but just recently got the prices back from Ricoh to add 5th color (inline gold similar to foiling) and it was close to $20,000! I could buy several foiling machines for that much imho.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back